Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Red, Pink and White Sprinkled Chocolate Chip Cookies


You would probably expect to see a pink, red and white cookie on Valentine's Day, but I believe that it's never a bad idea to add some girly sprinkles into a dessert! When it comes to cookie textures, I hate the hard/dry ones, usually the kind in the packaged bags at the store. Dry is a no-no, and a melt-in-your-mouth cookie is an absolute yes! According to my cookie standards, the perfect cookie must be soft and chewy, loaded with chocolate chips and taste great both fresh from the oven, as well as the dough itself - who doesn't love eating cookie dough straight from the bowl?  


I've always been fascinated with the recipes I see on Sally's Baking Addiction. She's obsessed with sprinkles and peanut butter - my long lost twin? I decided to use her recipe for triple chocolate chip cookies as the base for my cookies, minus the snow cap chocolate chips and the white chocolate [I'm regretting not adding white chocolate to mine as I look at her recipe]. I followed the instructions from Sally almost to a tee, but I did make a few changes and they still turned out great.


This recipe should yield about 2.5 dozen cookies. I got exactly 36.
Original recipe found here.

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup (or 1.5 sticks) softened unsalted butter 
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon molasses
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1.5 cups of chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup your favorite sprinkles



Instructions 
  1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. 
  2. In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed until fluffy and light in color. Mix in egg, vanilla and molasses, meanwhile scraping down the sides of your bowl every so often. On low speed, mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir in chocolate chips and sprinkles. Dough will be thick and sticky.
  3. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes, but longer is better. 
  4. Preheat oven to 350F. 
  5. Drop balls of dough onto your cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, at about 1 tablespoon per cookie. Bake them for 9 minutes until the edges are golden brown, but no more than 10. Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes and carefully remove with a spatula onto a flat surface or a cooling rack. 

Tips
  • Cookies will remain fresh in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
  • Allow the cookie sheets to cool completely before adding more dough.
  • Cookie dough can be frozen for up to 3 months.
  • Feel free to substitute other ingredients for the chocolate chips, such as raisins, chopped nuts, dried fruit, etc. 

Don't forget to sip on a glass of cold almond milk on the side! However, I wouldn't recommend dipping fresh from the oven cookies in milk since they are so soft, and they might leave a cookie slurry at the bottom of your glass.

Enjoy! 

Q: What's your favorite kind of cookie? My favorite cookie is hands down a good, homemade chocolate chip and oatmeal cookie. Peanut butter cookies are a close second!

22 comments:

  1. They look wonderful and I am just loving the pretty sprinkles. We are long lost twins indeed. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yummy www.adoramehitabel.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with your definition of the perfect cookie - soft and chewy is a must! I guess my favourite type would be one they serve at Barnes and Nobles, triple chocolate chunk. In any case, I'll be trying your recipe very soon!
    Love,
    S

    www.sonushka.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!! Those looks absolutely delicious! I'm gonna save this recipe for future use! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look bloody amazing. I have a MASSIVE craving for cookies now. If I could bake, I'd make some. But I'm terrible! Great recipe though :) I've told my friend to give it go ;)

    Love Daniela (new fan) oxo

    ohellabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yuammy!

    xx
    Christina Klein
    http://bychristina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on my way to kitchen... I need to bake them right now;D!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum!! Definitely craving these cookies right about now!! ;)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks delicious!
    I will try to make them!

    http://rockinglace.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummm! These look delicious. I've got to try your recipe! xx

    http://thestylecrusader.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those look absolutely delicious! I really like your blog! I'm glad that I found it! It would be nice if you could stop by my blog sometime too (I'm from England) as I post my outfits, personal style, likes and much more :) :)

    www.raindropsofsapphire.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello dear :) nice your bog and cute post! I follow you now;) you expect from me!

    http://teanonsolomoda.blogspot.it

    Kiss Tea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous style, adoring your blog miss!
    would love to see you in casper&pearl one day!

    lots of love from the c&p girls,
    casper&pearl blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. yum!

    x Vittoria, from nyc
    ...and enter my GIVEAWAY for a $100 gift certificate to online boutique ShopSeptember here: http://tinyurl.com/ae395pp

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gourmand! kisses from rome federica smartchicdietreadbooksandfly.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg! We have the same favorite cookie! Chocolate Chip Oatmeal, definitely. I don't like peanut butter cookies, so sugar cookies or shortbread are a close second for me.

    Thanks for posting this recipe. Sounds so yummy and the cookies look so cute!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. So inspiring,honey!Absolutely love it;-)
    xx
    B.
    http://www.beeswonderland.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. your blog is so sweet and has so much lovely character! really enjoying flicking through!

    kitty xo; http://kittyhannon.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love baking too. These look scrummy www.adoramehitabel.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh yum. I love a great classic chocolate chip cookie.

    ReplyDelete