Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Cookies and Cream Cookies

 

About one month ago, I posted a recipe on Rolo Cookies. Little did I know, this would soon become one of my most popular blog posts, as well as pins on Pinterest (106 and counting)! People just love caramel and chocolate together and I totally get that. But... today is all about a different kind of treat: the Hershey's cookies n' cream bar!


 This has been one of my favorite chocolate bars ever since elementary school. I even remember hinting to my grade 6 'Secret Santa' to get me these and she gifted me with 20 cookies and cream bars (aka: bars of gold). I don't know how I managed to eat 20 of those so quickly, but I'm sure my blood was 99% sugar at that point. Lesson here: don't eat your body weight in chocolate, unless you're receiving them as a gift... then it's perfectly fine. Today, I'm providing you with an alternative use.


The best thing about incorporating chocolate bars into cookies, is that it's so simple. You simply chop up your chocolate bar into bite size pieces, some bigger, some smaller sized and fold them into your cookie dough. If you've been reading my blog for a few months, I'm sure your familiar with this cookie recipe I always use (found on Sally's Baking Addiction). I've used it with my Rolo Cookies, Easter Cookies, Pink/Red/White Sprinkle Cookies and today we have Cookies & Cream Cookies!

The great thing about this recipe, is that these cookies are so soft and chewy, yet they hold their thick texture perfectly once cooled down. I always refrigerate my dough for at least an hour before baking these, to ensure a perfectly soft texture. Another trick for thick, soft and chewy cookies, is to add two teaspoons of corn starch! Never forget the corn starch because it helps with the ideal cookie texture.


Cookies & Cream Cookies Recipe
recipe adapted from Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies (from Sally's Baking Addiction)
- makes 2.5 dozen cookies

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (or light brown - dark is preferred)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 - 1.5 cups of chopped Hershey's Cookies n' Cream chocolate bars
Instructions
  1. Line an ungreased cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed until fluffy and light in color. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides as needed. On low speed, mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir in cookies n' cream chunks. Dough will be thick and sticky. Chill for at least 30 minutes (or up to 3 days).
  3. Preheat oven to 350F.
  4. Drop balls of dough onto cookie sheet (about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough per cookie) OR used a standard-sized cookie scoop. Press a few chocolate chips onto the tops of cookies for looks, if desired. Bake for 8-9 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges. Do NOT bake them longer than 10 minutes. Remove and let cool for 3 minutes on the cookie sheet. If the cookies are too puffy, try gently pressing down on them with the back of a spoon. Transfer to cooling rack. Cookies remain fresh in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Notes
*Do not drop dough onto warm cookie sheets. Allow cookie sheets to cool completely between batches.
*Cookies freeze well – up to three months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well – up to three months.


Q: Have you ever tried a Cookies n' Cream chocolate bar? They're one of my favorites, as well as cookies and cream ice cream. It's a divine combination!

follow me:  bloglovin // tumblr // youtube // pinterest // instagram 

M.

16 comments:

  1. oh wow, definitely going to be making these tonight!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! Tell me how it goes :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. And they taste just as good! :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. OMG.. I'm drooling. Looks amazing.. please send a batch my way ;)

    Dakota
    http://dakotabee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. cookies n cream is my favourite bar! these look exquisite!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning pictures! It looks CRAZY YUMMY! XX

    Come check out my new post! ;)

    http://www.fashionnarcissism.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alicia!
      xx

      Delete
  6. Unfortunately here in Portugal we don't have that chocolate bar :/, but the cookies sure look delicious!
    Your blog is one of my favourites, so please keep posting

    Love, Rafaella

    lost-in-the-milky-way.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to try this bar when you get the chance! It's definitely one of my favorites.
      Thanks for the kind words :)
      xx

      Delete
  7. looooove the cookies and cream chocolate bars since i've been to america for the fist time and i will try these cookies out. they look awesome.
    xx

    dornroeeschen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. No way!!! These look heavenly!! I have to try it! I love cookies and cream bars, ice cream, pretty much everything, so I know I will love these:))! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookies n' Cream is definitely a winning combination.
      Thanks for stopping by! :)
      xx

      Delete