Thursday, August 01, 2013

DIY || floral crown


Here I am, channeling my inner hippie child: floral crown, flowing long natural locks of hair and a simple white tank showcasing nature's moons and stars. I've had my eye on a few florals crowns I've seen online, but I could not bring myself to buy one, when I knew I could purchase the supplies to make my own, my own custom floral wreath.


When trying to find the perfect (and for me, easiest) tutorial, I picked up some tips from a few different sources. This video (link) helped me the most and I recommend you watch it, too!


 Supplies 
fake flowers (real ones work too, but they're more delicate) // wire cutters
strong floral wire // hot glue gun // glue sticks // floral tape

Instructions
1. Taking the floral wire, measure one length around your head. Cut that length off but leave excess, about 8 inches. Cut 2 more of these lengths because we will be braiding them for the base of the crown. 


2. Line the wires up and tie the tops into a knot with a loop left over. Use pliers to grip the wires and wrap them around easier.  Begin braiding the wires without tightening them too much because the flowers will fit into the holes throughout the braid.


Before you tie the end pieces together, measure around your head once again. If all is well, loop the end pieces into the loop on top and wrap around the body of the braid (seen above). If the wires are hard to bend, use wire cutters or pliers to tighten them. 


3. Use floral tape to wrap around the wires that stick out. If you don't, they will poke you!


4. Pull the flower heads off the stems and  arrange them in a circle (the same size as the crown). This way, you can play around with the pattern to see which way you like it before permanently gluing them on. I chose to use the dusty purple roses as my first flower. 

5. Taking the flower head, add a small amount of glue to the bottom and hold if down on the wreath for at least 30 seconds. I found that making a hole in the spot of the braid before gluing the flower in was easier, because it provided some room for the little nub at the bottom of the flower head to fit into.


6. Take your next choice of flower and repeat step 5. Continue this step with different flowers until you have your desired look. Don't pick too many flowers, because they might start to clash.It's optional to add greenery, but I added left over leaves around some empty spots. I found this addition made the crown look more natural and complete.

7. Once the glue has dried, cut off the flower nubs on the inside of the crown.

My flower choices were: purple roses, white daisies, red peonies + extra leaves to help fill in those empty spaces. For my first floral crown, I'm quite pleased! The whole project didn't cost more than $15. 


Hippie child or not, channel your inner floral goddess before the petals have blown away and the leaves have changed into crispy, autumnal colors. Enjoy the summer days before they're gone. 

follow me:  bloglovin // tumblr // youtube // pinterest // instagram

M.

17 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous brilliant tutorial, Its better to make one yourself that way you have a unique one

    Carrieanne x

    http://beautiesunlocked.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lisa! I completely agree. What fun is it if everyone has the same crown?
      xx

      Delete
  2. What a nice and easy diy, I've been loving flower crowns this summer.


    xo.Janiecy.xo|A Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

    xo, Janiecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janeese! You should make one :)
      xx

      Delete
  3. It's so cute
    I LOVE it :)

    http://coco-colo.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I just came across your blog and I love it!
    Would you like to follow each other on our social media? xx

    http://www.fashionnarcissism.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia!
      Sure, I'd love to :)
      xx

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for the tutorial. I love floral crowns and as you I also have a inner hipie child ^^
    Btw you are absolutely gorgeous!

    Kisses

    lost-in-the-milky-way.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw the crown in your most recent post and loved it, but didn't realise you had made it yourself! It's gorgeous! xxx

    http://tuesdayschild26.blogspot.co.uk/


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words :)
      xx

      Delete