Wednesday, August 21, 2013

My Room Tour: Black and White


I wasn't always a big fan of black and white interior decor. Six years ago, it was all about the hot pink, bright orange and canary yellow. Times have changed and that's definitely for the better. My parents are trying to sell out house this summer, which means my bedroom must be spotless at all times. As our realtor was snapping pictures of our home, I thought it would be the perfect time to take my own and share my bedroom and some of my interior inspirations with you!

Black and white is all about simplicity and that's the route I wanted to take - black and white furniture with splashes of color and neutral elements to make it more 'home-y'. My bed is from IKEA and it helps balance out all of the black furniture with it's Victorian and girly style frame.


To be honest, I hate this keyboard here. I don't even know how to play it... my mom just wanted to get rid of it from a different room and she placed it in mine. It's not even plugged in. Ideally, I would want a black and white book cube - 2x4 cubes for shoes! As of right now, they're in my closet, but I would love to display and store my favorite pairs right in that spot. The dresser in the back is from IKEA, mostly used for storage, some makeup as well as undergarments and pajamas.

The artwork on my walls are prints from magazines and the internet, framed with IKEA frames.




Ah, this desk... it's definitely my favorite piece of furniture in my bedroom and it's also attached to the book cube. If you haven't noticed the pattern, this one is also from IKEA. I tend to move the items on my desk or book case daily, so it's appearance is always changing, but I try to always steer away from more items because it will get cluttered. The first picture of my desk has artwork on it and this was a watercolor piece I made in high school. 

My favorite part about my desk, is the book/pen organization. I have 3 books: Influence by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, That Extra Half an Inch by Victoria Beckham and Cupcakes and Cashmere by Emily Schuman. These are quick and entertaining reads for friends to read if they visit. On top is a white metal dainty pencil holder from IKEA, a plastic Starbucks cup with my rolls of Washi tape (obsessed) and a glass with 12 different colors of Sharipes. I love the visual presentation of this.


Next up, we have the opposite side. I think everyone has had this Audrey Hepburn canvas from IKEA at one point. This was one of the first pieces of black and white inspiration I picked up, once my pink/orange/yellow girly phase was over.  The night table is from IKEA. It's a new addition into my room because the way my bed was placed before, didn't allow any room for a night table, so when I moved my bed, there was room and my sister gave me her dark espresso colored table from Wal-Mart.


On this night table, I have a picture of the Eiffel tower (print purchased at the Paris airport), an IKEA bubble lamp, an old Glamour magazine with Victoria Beckham on the cover and a gold Aztec statement necklace for a bit of golden shine. The decorations on this night table change all of the time and there are usually 3-4 coffee mugs on it... oops.


These pillows from Bouclair were intentionally for our living room couch, but my mom was not a fan, so I tried them on my bed, and paired them with a cream colored blanket from Cotton Ginny. My walls are actually a light cream color (not white), so these pillows and blanket help tie it all together.


Finally, we have my floral arrangement. I've tried placing it in multiple locations; this drawer, my night stand, my desk... the possibilities are endless. When I was making it, I photographed the process, so stay tuned for that tutorial coming soon. All of the flowers and the mirrored container are from Michaels.  

And finally, saving the best for last...


My closet! I'm so happy I was given the room with a walk-in closet. As of right now, there isn't much organization to it, just shoes on top, clothes hanging on matching white hangers, sweaters folded up and scarves tied around the closet bar. In our next house, I definitely want to make it a project and priority to have all of my clothes and accessories nicely organized.


Wouldn't those heels look gorgeous on a 2x4 book cube from IKEA?  I'll have to start convincing my mom to get me that bookshelf cube unit, instead of that keyboard. 


If there is anything you want to know where it was purchased, please leave me a comment below. 

Q: What are your inspirations when it comes to interior design? Do you have a favorite color scheme? I find a lot of my design inspirations and ideas for my next bedroom on Pinterest.

follow me:  bloglovin // tumblr // youtube // pinterest // instagram 

M.

10 comments:

  1. wow amazing closet you have.. and your bed looks super comfy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ah, I love my bed :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. I love seeing how other people decorate their rooms! It makes me so jealous, I'm such an untidy person!
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zoe :)
      I'm usually an untidy person too, but I was forced to clean my room up and it's so much better to have a clean room and you just feel more relaxed in general.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I love your room. It's seriously so chic! I love your desk and chair :)

    xx.
    fashion and tea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black & white is such a classic & classy colour scheme. Your room looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Audrey Hepburn canvas! And it's funny that I have a lot of the same decoration in my room but it doesn't look alike at all!! :P Or maybe it isn't that funny.. Anyways your room looks great!

    xx Valerie

    whatgirlslove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing room and closet! I see you don't have a place to hang your scarves?

    try this :) takes up very little space and super easy to install!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcwJp0Vr-fU

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such a nice and clean space! I love how it's not cluttered! P.S. A book cube for your shoe display sounds awesome:)!

    ReplyDelete